Sunday, June 04, 2006

Acts 2:12

I like the words that describe the condition of those hearing the Holy Spirit languages event: existjmi and diaporew.

Existjmi has been translated as amazed (NIV and NRSV) and astounded (NET Bible). The root verb histjmi means something like stand or settle. The prefix ex- indicates, as we might expect in English, to be out of or no longer a part of whatever it precedes. Picture those foreigners, unexpectedly hearing the Galileans speaking in their own language, as being unsettled or mentally knocked out of their reasonable expectations of status quo.

Diaporew has been translated perplexed (NIV and NRSV) and confused (NET Bible). The related verb aporew means to be without means or resource. Diaporew was used as an intensive form of aporew. In a sense, the foreigners were totally at a loss, in easy speech, when they tried to get a handle on what they were suddenly exposed to.

1 comment:

Joshua Johnson said...

Hey eshinee. I'm not sure if you remember me. I am Joshua Johnson and I was in your SOE in 97 at YWAM. Hey, I hope everything is going well with you.

I remember Chris Cameron and I was listen with amazement when you would call home. You use to talk on the phone in this strange language. I remember you saying "Where ya at?"

Blessings!

Joshua